by Blair Imani
I am Blair Imani, Executive Director of Equality for HER.
That’s me holding a sign that says, “Trust Louisiana Women.” The picture was taken on May 8, during a legislative awareness day at the Louisiana State Capitol. I attended that day because I believe personal decisions should not be dictated by legislation. The right to choose should never be taken away from anyone. Since this photo has been circulating on nola.com I have been receiving emails, calls, and texts shaming me for not avoiding the camera. After all the event was hosted by Planned Parenthood. Planned Parenthood has the slogan "Care. No Matter What." Despite their record for fabulous nondiscrimination policies and practices they are still condemned simply for providing care. For many, Planned Parenthood is wrongly associated with a variety of imagined lies.
Here is the truth on Planned Parenthood:
- Planned Parenthood health centers focus on prevention: 75 percent of our clients receive services to prevent unintended pregnancy.
- Planned Parenthood services help prevent more than 515,000 unintended pregnancies each year.
- Planned Parenthood provides nearly 500,000 Pap tests and 550,000 breast exams each year, critical services in detecting cancer.
- Planned Parenthood provides nearly 4.5 million tests and treatments for sexually transmitted infections, including HIV.
- Three percent of all Planned Parenthood health services are abortion services
The bottom line is Planned Parenthood advocates for the healthy lives of all people, and so does Equality for HER.